Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I've been a "girl mom" for 17 months now...(and, the glory of pink sneakers)!

Yesterday, my little girl turned seventeen months old...I have five sons, and one daughter...if you've been around the blog, you know that one of those sons is about to hit twenty-one months, and those youngest two kiddos were adopted on the same day. The reality is I have been a boy mom for over twenty-three years now...and I was really used to being a boy mom. This being a mother to a girl is pretty strange, but wonderful! She is everything I could have ever wanted or dreamed of in a daughter. I absolutely adore her.  And, I admit it...shallow as it may sound to some, I am glorying in the butterflies, and flowers and the pink soles of her new shoes! 



(Awww....they(both) are so dang cute! Ok, so I am glorying in getting BOTH of those pairs of shoes.) Silly? Maybe... I grew up in Hawaii...so, my boys went barefoot(other than slippers, which mainlanders call flip flops) as long as possible when they were babies...these two have had a couple pair of really soft soled shoes(one of each of "Robeez" or "See Kai Run")...so these are the first "big kid" shoes, you know, with velcro and flashing lights? In other words(try not to gag, I can't help it) this is a "they are getting SO big" moment for me...I'm loving the blinking lights reflecting off of our wood floors as they stomp around giggling

It never ceases to amaze me how much joy I find in the simplest parts of all of this. I am very much like a first time mom. Except that, at the same time, I'm SO not! No one has to tell me how quickly this passes. And no one has to tell me how important it is to really BE here in this moment now.  It's not that I didn't enjoy those moments when I did this the first time around...but, I definitely had more noise in my head when my boys were little. I was younger and more self focused, worrying about "how my life was going to turn out"...I did not really grasp that I was *doing my life* the whole time...it wasn't some "destination" off in the future...I see things so differently now.  So, celebrate shoes, I will! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Girl you are living my dream! I can't WAIT to be a girl's mom (and a boy's mom too....but you know what I mean *wink*)

    Enjoying the little things is exactly what life is all about. So soak them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying for you, Nella! You are so right...your time is coming! I can't wait to watch God's plans unfold in your story!

      (and I shall enjoy those tiny moments and soak em up, and remember what it was like when I did not have them to enjoy!)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts! I look forward to reading your perspective! Blessings, Jeanene